Monday, March 05, 2007

Making Mistakes So You Don't Have To: Half-Day Vacations

I'm starting a new series. I don't know why I didn't think of it before.

In honour of the Maple Leaf Brass Band's trip to Toronto, I decided to use some of the vacation time I have accumulated since starting my job. I thought it would be especially clever to maximize my time by using a half-day on Friday and a half-day on Monday. So I told everyone I'd be taking Friday afternoon and Monday morning off for my big vacation.

So, on Friday, I left the office at 2:30pm, which means I got about 2.5 hours of vacation that day. Today, I arrived at work at 1pm after a relaxing morning, and then left at 7:30 pm. Which means I got -0.5 hours of vacation today. My "day" of vacation turned out to be 2 hours long. So it's really not surprising that I don't have a suntan.

Next time I take a day of vacation it will all be on the same day.

3 comments:

David Scrimshaw said...

Say Sal,

I hope you're not really thinking that advice would work for me.

Anonymous said...

not to be nit picky, but there is a slight mathematical inaccuracy. looks like you actually had 3 whole hours of vacation. also, do you normally get a lunch break in those 8 hr days, or do you work 9 and take a break? if the former, you probably only had one hour of vacation.
that's not cool.

David Scrimshaw said...

hi s,

I think you are being nitpicky.