Thursday, June 14, 2007

Yes, that's right, I'm a Lawyer

Lee Seshagiri, David Scrimshaw, Krista Scobie and Adrian Scofield applauding the people who helped them get to the Call to the Bar. Photo: K. Shore

I've had two full work days as a lawyer now. Underneath my name on my email signature it now says "Counsel". Yesterday in the Small Claims Court, Justice Tierney recognized me so I didn't get to introduce myself. But after I introduced my client, I said, "you can note me as counsel."

I've been giving out legal advice left and right. Examples: "Read the whole contract!" "Don't get caught!" and "If the officer who gave you the ticket shows up at your court date, plead guilty with an explanation."

After the ceremony on Tuesday, some of the new lawyers already had their documents framed. I expressed surprise and Mom explained there was a booth set up where they were getting it done and she'd seen parents ripping the envelopes out of their children's hands and taking them right over. "I imagine it is not inexpensive," I said.

"That's right," she said. "I figured you had a a bunch of binder clips at home to put them together."

Webshots Album of Photos taken by K. Shore

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations David! That's a very impressive multi-year achievement. (Whenever I get called to the bar, I just go down to Irene's Pub.)

So what's next for you?

Unknown said...

Congratulations, David!! Very exciting - always handy to have a lawyer in the family ( ... I'm assuming).
By the way, your blog is great! I had not idea it existed.
Can't wait to catch up with you for real.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

lk said...

My Dear David...
Congradulations!
Absolutely...congradulations!
Linda

S said...

Félicitations David! Tu est tout à fait incroyable.