Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Astronaut Love Triangle Mood Light


It seems that instead of blogging, I'm continuing to make stuff.


I've had this heart-shaped mood light up in the hall way for about seven years. It didn't occur to me that it could be used to make a real-lfe Astronaut Love Triangle logo until after I realized it would be easy to make an Astronaut Love Triangle rocketship from a broken bullet-shape lightbulb (along with bits from other broken lightbulbs, a bit of a cork, rubbing alcohol and hot glue).

The radiation warning is made with electrical tape on the orange plastic that went over a car's hazard light.

I gorrilla-taped sheets of aluminum from pop cans to the back of the heart to prevent light from spilling out.

Back during the holidays, I printed some black and white copies of the logo on an overhead acetate (remember overhead projectors?). The plan had been to turn them into stencils, but I wound up using larger versions for my stencils. I clipped out one and set it in the top so I'd have another version of the logo projected on the ceiling. I used a square of plastic from a club soda bottle to keep it rigid.

The rocketship is hung with elastics that the mail man has left with us.

The radiation hazard warning is hung with a plastic coil from one of the calendars that Kaye's school gives the students every year.

I'm afraid I've got a bunch of other ideas of things to make so it may be a while before I get to all the great legal advice posts I've been wanting to give you.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Your works of inspired tinkering are probably far more amusing than legal advice. IMHO, anyhow.

Anonymous said...

Hi David,
It was great to meet you at the bloggers breakfast.:) Your artworks are very cool!

Anonymous said...

genius! my daughter would just LOVE this. this should have been however your valentines day post!

Gwen said...

this mood light has thoroughly altered my mood. for the better. you are my favourite living Canadian artist.