Sunday, June 13, 2010

A clematis grows on Lebreton Street

When I bought my house in February 1993, one of the things that I liked about it was that it had virtually no yard so I wouldn't have to do a lot of yard work.

In the spring, after the snow melted and leaves came out, I discovered that I had several flower beds, an apple tree, a cherry tree, two grape vines and several other trees. Over the years, I've left the trees pretty much alone and put in a few flowering perennials.

Along the fence, I thought it would be great to have irises and clematis. The irises worked out very well. But every time I shelled out for a clematis it would go up a few inches and then die. I tried four or five times before deciding that my soil's not deep enough or it's just not right for clematis.

But now Manon gardens here and look what has reached the top of the fence:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the lovely Manon has the green thumb needed for the clematis. She's a keeper.
redvera

Anonymous said...

How allegorical.

Anonymous said...

I suspect the lovely Manon has found some way to shade and cool the roots of your clematis.

grace

David Scrimshaw said...

I suspect that Manon has found a way to shade and cool the clematis roots, but don't think that I didn't try with the previous efforts.