Sunday, October 16, 2011

Our Screened-in Porch

One of the things that has distracted me from blogging for the past two months has been all the work being done on the ScrimChateau and Manonsion.

Last week, three projects got finished. The one that has made Manon the happiest is our porch. As you can see it is not just a porch. It is a screened-in porch. And it has been finished in time for her to sip tea, read a depressing novel and enjoy the sunset before winter sets in.

The carpenter who did the work is Kevin Miller. Lots of people, especially other trades workers, who have seen the work have told us they're really impressed. One element of craftmanship you can see in the photo - notice how the wood next to the wall matches the curves in the stucco? I don't know how he even did that.

Do you have a screened-in porch? It's a big deal in certain circles we hang out in.

11 comments:

Manon said...

David, how did you manage to make my legs look so long in the picture? And, David, what do you mean by, "depressing novel"? Elizabeth Hay's writing warms the cockles of my little Canadian heart. Also, David, it's true, the new porch is my favourite room of the house at the moment...

David Scrimshaw said...

Does this mean we can put a TV in the porch?

Jennifer Nicol said...

That screened-in porch looks lovely. And substantial, like a dwelling on its own. Like a cottage, overlooking the shores of Lac LeBreton

David Scrimshaw said...

I really like that idea, Jennifer.

Betsy Pollack said...

Your porch looks inviting. I love Elizabeth Hay. I never knew anyone else who even knew who she was. Manon has good taste in books.

Sandra Dyck said...

The porch is awesome and a perfect place to read depressing books. Tell Manon to read "The Border Trilogy" by Cormac McCarthy. Truly depressing (but amazing).

Anonymous said...

oh my, what a beautiful screeeeend in back porch. Nice it was done before winter. Good stuff you two xoxoxox
redvera

David Scrimshaw said...

Betsy, we don't just know who Elizabeth Hay is, we've got signed copies of her books. Before she got famous, she taught some writing classes that I was lucky enough to be in.

Sandra, a very good idea. I wonder what happened to my copy of All the Pretty Horses.

Mom, hopefully it'll be even more beautiful after we paint it.

Heather J Smith said...

the porch looks lovely, as does Manon. It appears you've found a real treasure in Kevin, and that's hard to find. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Manon, I'm 4'11". Do you think David could make my legs look longer? I'm with you on Elizabeth Hay!

Grace

Manon said...

How wonderful...thank you all for your support regarding my love of Elizabeth Hay books!