Wednesday, May 03, 2023

I have a valuable vintage Boggle game

I discovered recently that I have a rare collectible in my game collection. It's a Boggle game from the early '80s.

Boggle has 16 six-sided dice with letters on the side that you mix up in a square grid and then try to identify as many words as you can from adjoining dice in the three minutes it takes for sand to run through a little hour glass.

It turns out that in 1987, after I bought my game, they reissued the game with the letters rearranged differently. And while there doesn't seem to have been any official announcement about why, people have noticed that the F and the K are now on the same cube. 

This means that when you play the "new" Boggle, you'll never find words that contain both F and K. Like "funky" or "firetruck".

But if you play Boggle at my house, those words could appear.

References:


3 comments:

David Scrimshaw said...

I love Squaredle! It's basically my favourite of the current games. I have to complete both the standard game and the Express every morning.

I was hoping I'd get a bonus reveal this morning by sharing, but they don't seem to be offering that option.

squaredle.net 06/27:
27/27 words (+18 bonus words)
�� In the top 9% by bonus words
�� Solve streak: 92

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'd want to play without funky firetrucks.
...Which block has a "T" on it? 😄

David Scrimshaw said...

There are several blocks with "T", so it can come up with just about any other letters showing, I believe.