Thursday, October 10, 2024

Losing the black plastic

Food containers in an over-flowing blue bin
Apparently we need to stop using black plastic with our food because it is likely to contain high levels of toxic flame retardants. [One of many sources: the Defender

So, all of the old take-out containers that I have carefully curated are in the recycle bin and we'll be replacing our black spatulas very soon.

I have to admit that I begrudge this. I've been careful these past few years to only save three container types, throwing out all the ones that don't match. 

I've only saved two rectangular models (patent no. ZL201530113129.9 T-32 and CN ZL 2012 2 0653314.8) and a circular model (patent no. ZL201530113105.3).

Now I am left with 3 white circular containers (patent no. ZL201530113105.3) and 16 white rectangular containers (patent no. ZL20153113129.9 T-32). I'll have to get used to using rectangular containers for my breakfast concoctions.

I've put the old black containers in the recycle bin. Although there's lots out there saying that black plastic is difficult to recycle at best, and the City of Toronto doesn't want it, the City of Ottawa Recycling page, "what goes in your blue bin", doesn't say not to put black plastic in the blue bin.

So there we are. 

No comments: