Friday, November 02, 2007

Art Opening: Red

Lots of red at the Cube Gallery tonight. I bumped into Miss Vicky (not literally) and she commented on how crowded it was. I agreed. We were obviously both thinking that we had never seen so many people at a Cube opening. I couldn't think of a way to say that didn't come off badly. Vicky probably just didn't think it needed to be said.

In addition to all the splashy red art and good looking people wearing red, there was a band. Quite a good band. After I made the round of the art and snapped a few pictures, I bumped into Vicky again. "Do you know the name of the band?" I asked.

"No," she said, "but they're mentioned on the Facebook listing. This was a Facebook event."

"Ah, ha," I said. "That's why there are so many people here."

"I don't really think this is a Facebook crowd," said Vicky. "I see a lot of grey hair."

To avoid drawing attention to the colour of my hair, I just said, "Facebook is getting awfully popular."

....

And now, I'm at home with my hi-speed connection and I can tell you that the music was provided by "Spanish party band Asunto Secreto" and according to the Facebook event listing, the event had "12 confirmed guests", "25 people might show up" and 64 had not replied to the Facebook invite. I was in the 25.

No comments: