Last week, I had a look at my Statcounter report on search strings that bring people to this blog. It turns out that Marcie's list of exciting things to do in Ottawa is the #1 hit for things to do in ottawa that you cant do in the usa (With the apostrophe in "can't" I drop to #4). In reviewing Marcie's list it made me happy to see that in fact, they are all things that you can only do in Ottawa and therefore not in the USA.
However, I imagine that there are many places in the USA that could provide a similar experience to many items on the list. So here are
A few things that you can do in Ottawa that you can't do in the USA:
- Marry a same-sex partner [ceremony ; licence]
- Stroll around the head of state's house
- Protest at a US Embassy
- Watch a Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Game (not technically in Ottawa, but close); or an Ontario Hockey League game (which can also be done in Plymouth Michigan, but not with 2 Ontario teams, right?)
- See Lucky Ron perform
- See Ball and Chain at the Elmdale
- 5-pin bowling
- Make art while being inspired by a Canadian Artist like Joe Fafard
Note: There is an almost excellent list by Janika on Virtual Tourist, but one of the things she recommends is taking a trip on an amphibious bus. Now, I'm sure they have fixed the problems that caused that one to sink and kill those people. So you probably won't drown on the trip, but you will be bored senseless. Take a boat trip or take a bus trip; don't combine the two in one experience.
Other decent lists:
Anything else I should add to my list?