[Earlier today, I received a stern talking-to from Red Vera about the posting frequency here at David Scrimshaw's Blog. I am telling you this so that if you were thinking you should bring the matter up with me, it has been covered and you can use your time and energy instead to write a letter to one of your elected representatives about an issue that matters to you.]
I am happy to report that the first prototype of my latest project is exactly the freaky success I had hoped it would be.
Back in the spring I bought a strobe light kit at Active Surplus in Toronto. Two weeks ago, I finally soldered it together. Surprisingly, at least surprisingly to me, it worked. Over the next few days I did the following:
- Hung the strobe light inside the stereo cupboard above the working, but never used, turntable.
- Cut out a 12" circle of cardboard from a pizza box and cut a little hole in the middle.
- Made 8 little purple cylinders from Fun Foam microbead crafting compound [purchased at a dollar store, made in China and almost certainly poisonous, toxic or hallucinogenic.]
- Put the purple cylinders on the edge of the cardboard circle so that they are equal distances from each other.
- Attached yellow Fun Foam to each cylinder in a slightly different way for each one.
- Turned on the turntable at 45rpm.
- Turned off the lights in the room.
- Turned on the strobe light.
- Adjusted the strobe light until it flashed 360 times per minute (360=8 x 45).
- Freaked out.
If you are viewing this in IE, try left-clicking the image and selecting "properties". This makes the animation work properly on my computer. Don't know why.