Thursday, April 19, 2007

Now UNICEF is puzzling me

I received this envelope today. I haven't opened it yet.

I am guessing that when I open it, I will discover how UNICEF thinks $0.05 (CDN) can save a child's life. Here are a few theories:

  1. Maybe you can make enough rehydration fluid with five cents to prevent a child with diarrhea from dying.
  2. You could use the nickel to bribe a child to stop doing something dangerous: "Say, kid, I'll give you this nickel if you stop running with scissors."
  3. If you were in a place where guns get fired often, you could put the nickel on the ground. Maybe just as a gun is fired, a child would bend over to pick up the nickel and be saved!
  4. If a bad guy planning to commit murder took a child into a bathroom stall, you could use the nickel to unlock the stall door and rescue the child.
  5. You could put the nickel on a string, then swing it back and forth in front of a child who has started smoking and hypnotise the child into giving up cigarettes.
  6. You could photocopy a page of instructions on how to survive various dangers [like these] and give it to a child.

All this to show that I am not puzzled by how a nickel can save a child. What puzzles me is why they sent this life-saving nickel to me. I'm not around children very much and when I am, I can almost always get a nickel or a nickel substitute.

I think I'll put it in the next mojo kit I make.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, that's an odd campaign, like the shelter mailing packets of soup to mail back. It more than pays for itself in attention I suppose but I don't think it would be enough to deter scissor-running. That might need at least a loonie.