Saturday, October 19, 2024

Black Plastic - the nightmare continues

The top of a reusable cup with a black lid that is circled in red and text that says: Oh no! It's black!
As I mentioned previously, the news that black plastic is likely contaminated with toxic flame retardants caused me to throw out all of our black food containers.

But then a couple of days later, I realized that the coffee cup I use every single day has a lid that my lips touch every time I take a sip and every drop of coffee passes through the opening in the lid and that lid is black.

I am comforting myself that a single lid might not contain that many of the toxic molecules and in the 20 or so years I've owned the cup, many of the molecules will have leached away, at least some in the dishwater.

I have sidelined the mug in the hope that I might find a non-black lid in some thrift store or at a garage sale. And in the meantime, Manon has generously allowed me to use a mug she was given with a clear plastic lid. (The clear lid does not fit my mug. I checked.)

I pretty much need a lid on my coffee cup because I am sloppy and clumsy. Without the lid, coffee spills on the stairs when I come upstairs, and I knock over the cup about once a month at my desk.

I'm happy to report that I like the clear plastic lid because it lets me see how much coffee is left in the cup.

The top of a reusable cup with a clear lid that is circled in red and text that says: Ahhh! Clear!

Of course, I realize it's only a matter of time before we learn that clear plastic leaches something other than flame retardant that is bad for us. Is it too much to ask that one of these days it could be a molecule that gives us a super power? Even a minor super power like improving our ability to parallel park?

No comments: