Since I started school I've been actively trying not to get hooked on new TV shows. My old shows all got cancelled (Buffy, Angel, Voyager, NYPD Blue) so you'd think I'd not be watching TV. But along came This is Wonderland, a fun show about Canadian criminal law. I had to watch it for my education. Then I had a four-day break and got hooked on CSI reruns. A week-long illness and Trading Spaces, Clean Sweep, While You're Out and the Debbie Travis shows stuck their tentacles into me.
And now there's a show that appears to have been designed specifically for me:
Two guys who live here in Ottawa drive around on garbage night. They find big items at the curbside, take them away, totally transform and trick them out and then return them to the original owners.
In the first episode they turned a dresser into a butcher block kitchen island and a stove into a monster barbecue.
My possibly premature comments based on only having seen one episode:
- Steve and Jim Kelley are the biggest hoser brothers to hit the screen since Bob and Doug. I mean this in the most affectionate way. They must have said "check it out" a dozen times each.
- They complimented each others work to a point that got irritating.
- Their aesthetic seems to differ from mine in that they appear to be free to purchase fairly pricey add-ons to their creations, e.g. monster wheels and decals for the barbecue.
- Their creations are things of beauty.
- They could go into more detail about some of the things they do, but they've only got a half-hour, so I won't take away points.
- I wonder if the peope who get these things returned to them appreciate them. Does anybody have a connection to these guys? Maybe I could leave one of the couches outside and they could turn it into something I could actually use. (Have I mentioned that there are now four couches at the ScrimChateau if you only count the sectional as one couch?)
Today they'll be turning an old bicycle into a ceiling fan. Clearly I have no choice but to watch and learn.
Junk Brothers HGTVC Apr 09 8:00pm, 11:00pm ch. 49 in Ottawa Series/Home/Garden, 30 Mins. "The Desk and the Bike" Episode #1002. An art deco desk is transformed into bedside tables; an old bike is transformed into a ceiling fan.