I had to give a talk this afternoon at a meeting of the future members of the soon to be established non-profit corporation, Propeller Dance. The topic of my talk: "The members and directors and what they will do." I was told I would have flip chart paper and markers if I wanted them, but I kept thinking I wanted something else.
What I wanted was something like a magnetic whiteboard and magnetic people to represent the different groups.
Naturally, I procrastinated all week and still had nothing when I woke up this morning.
Have I mentioned that I lead a charmed life?
I had to go to the 7-11 to get some milk for breakfast. On my way home, I noticed that someone had put a panel from an old appliance out with their garbage.
Even though I immediately recognized the panel would make an excellent magnetic whiteboard, I actually left it there and came home without it. Then at 3:30, with only an hour and a half until the meeting, I:
- Went back and got the panel;
- Cleaned it up with windex and paper towel;
- Drew a bunch of faces with a felt-tip pen on a sheet of paper;
- Scanned the pictures into my photo software;
- Added hair colour and skin tones;
- Copied some of the faces;
- Printed out two pages on "magnet sheets"; and
- Cut the faces out with scissors and stuck them on the panel.
I made it to the meeting with plenty of time to spare and because of my handy visual aids felt entirely comfortable describing interesting points like how the directors choose the members and then the members elect the directors.
p.s. Propeller Dance will be the new independant organization doing DanceAbility programming in Ottawa.