Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Fun with Panoramas


You know how it is extremely difficult to do anything new on your computer? Especially with images? I made an animated GIF on Sunday. It took me about 5 hours to figure out how to do it, and I had to use three different software packages.

Today I thought I'd try pasting together separate images from my trip into larger images. To do this, I downloaded autostitch, a package recommended by Lifehacker.

Holy Cow! All you do is "open" the pictures you want stitched together and it creates a panorama from them. The only flexibility seems to be on things like output size and image quality. This means that if it decides to blur someone's face, you can't change it, but for results this easy, I say, let it blur the face and call it an artistic effect!

2017 update: The 2007 link to autostitch had died, but Peter Selmeczy helpfully let me know and pointed to a page he's made with a long list of free utilities that has a valid link for autostitch. I already use a number of the utilities and plan to look at all of them.

No comments: