Last weekend, I put together a new lightbulb shade out of burned-out Christmas lights. It is similar to the one I made for the bathroom in 2007, but it has several innovations.
- Instead of filling the bulbs with oil, I filled the bulbs with fruit-flavoured gelatine - cherry, lemon and orange. I want something non-toxic and inexpensive with a high index of refraction. The oils I used last time have these properties, but even after 5 years, the oil still sweats out of them. Also, if a bulbs smashes, I figure a blob of jelly will be less messy than a puddle of oil. But, maybe mold will grow in them. I hope if it does it will be artistic. Either way: Science!
- I used fewer bulbs, but this time, I was more careful about placing them to block the light of the working bulb from people's sight-lines.
- Little jars with coloured marbles - very popular with certain fans of lightbulb art.